If you are 16, 17 or 18 and have left or about to leave compulsory education, you may be eligible to receive Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). You can get more information from your school, your Connexions personal adviser or by phoning the helpline free on 0800 121 8989. Or visit the EMA website.

If you are 19 or over, studying at least 12 hours a week and doing your first full Level 2 (e.g. BTEC First, GCSE) or Level 3 qualification (e.g. BTEC National, AS/A Level) you may be eligible for the Adult Learning Grant (ALG) even if you are working part-time or living at home. For more information log onto direct.gov.uk/alg or call the helpline free on 0800 121 8989

Colleges also have Discretionary Support Funds to help with the costs associated with attending courses, transport and meals. Schools and colleges set their own criteria and manage their own procedures. This means that the amounts available, and the way funds are allocated, may differ between institutions.

Information on financial help for higher education students can be found on the Directgov website

There is a bursary for all eligible students studying a GSCC accredited social work degree who are not funded by their employers.